Friday, August 1, 2008

"What's that? A disease?" - Ronald Weasley


This morning, as I huddled beneath my comforter watching this past weekend's Comic-Con panel with the writers of The Office on NBC.com (a panel you should all watch if you've got even the slightest interest in the writing process...or in watching Mindy Kaling and BJ Novak bicker adorably), a little red box of sunshine popped up in the top right corner of my screen.

It's always a joy to get an e-mail, and Gmail Notifier makes it that much more fun by adding a little dinging sound and alerting me almost instantly to said e-mail's existence. But this particular e-mail was that much greater. Why? Because it was from Amazon and it was informing me that I could pre-order this.

Now, I've been dying to read The Tales of Beedle the Bard since...well, since I read Deathly Hallows, and the desire only mounted when I found out that JK Rowling had actually written the stories, written them by hand at that, and illustrated them! But, bummer of the century, she'd only written 7 copies, to be given to friends and, in one case, auctioned by Sotheby's for a ridiculous amount of money. I didn't know if I'd ever get the chance to read the book.

Which is only a part of the reason this is so exciting. After a year with the knowledge that, basically, my childhood had come to an end along with Harry's, that there would be no more Harry Potter, we were offered one tiny new glimpse of the Wizarding World when JK Rowling wrote a little prequel to the series, a peep at Sirius and James in their youth, for Waterstones. And now we've got just that little bit more. And fairy tales, at that!

Because what's better than fairy tales? Not a whole lot.

So this is the real question. Who do I convince to shell out the $100 for the fancy pants edition?

No comments:

Post a Comment