Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Eleventh Doctor

So the BBC has just announced that Matt Smith will be taking over as the Eleventh Doctor on Doctor Who (probably my very favorite tv show) in 2010.

Now I'm very attached to the current Doctor (David Tennant). The general feeling in the Doctor Who fandom is that everyone has "their" Doctor. It's generally the actor you first saw play the part, but not necessarily (if that were the case with me my Doctor would be Nine--Christopher Eccleston). David Tennant himself has said that his Doctor is Five (Peter Davison), the Doctor of his childhood.

Because I'm so attached to Ten I've been having trouble with the knowledge that, after the five specials set to air this year, I'm going to have to give him up.

But I've seen Matt Smith in a few things (most notably The Ruby in the Smoke) and I was hoping for a young and attractive Doctor (Smith will be the youngest actor ever to take on the role). As sad as I'll be to see David Tennant leave, and to say goodbye to Ten, I've got pretty high hopes for the fifth series (especially with Steven Moffat behind it--I won't say the man can do no wrong, that would be a complete lie, but he's written some of the very best episodes of Doctor Who, like "Blink," "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances," and I'll be interested to see what he does next).

Now the question that remains--what's the Eleventh Doctor going to wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment